I’m heading to the office today. I was there yesterday. And I’ll be there tomorrow too. While this might not seem significant to you, it is to me. This marks the first time since I partied like Prince that I have gone to an office between Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve.
Before I launched my own business I worked at an adverting agency that shut down during this span. Before that, I saved my vacation days to enjoy the entire holiday week off. Before that was 1999, the last year I was in the office. Back then I was worried about the havoc Y2K was going to wreak on my Blockbuster account.
I couldn’t be happier about going to work today. Don’t get me wrong. I love my family and spending time with Dawn (my wife partner) and 3 children. But I started my advertising and idea agency, The Weaponry, because I thought it would be the best way to ensure stability for my family. Today, The Weaponry is extremely busy. And I have things to take care of.
This week I have three precious days to focus on The Weaponry’s past, present and future.
We are busy tying a giant red bow on 2017. It looks like we will double our revenue from 2016. But we have financial matters to complete before we arrive at the final numbers. This week we have invoices to send and expenses to expense. We are also investing more in infrastructure before the close of the year. On our shopping list:
- Large TV/monitor for our conference room
- 6 high stools for our recently ordered 48-inch x 96-inch high-top conference room table (it is red!)
- Giant signs for 2 walls.
- A refrigerator
- A new printer/copier/fax machine/ smoke signal sender/ Carrier Pigeon launcher
- Surf Board coffee table (you can read about it by clicking here)
We are very fortunate to have a lot of work going through the agency right now. In fact, we will have four client presentations in the first week of 2018. Here’s a glimpse of what we are working on:
- A major website redesign that will launch in early February
- Several ads for various print campaigns
- Ads for a Facebook paid media campaign
- 2 completely new brand logos
- A new brand name for a client (following a series of major acquisitions)
- A brand repositioning project
- A fun t-shirt design for a client that we just sent to the screen printer
- A choreographed new business dance routine spectacular that we will perform in every new business meeting in 2018 (If you want to see it just invite us to come talk)
While our clients are enjoying a well deserved break, we are stealing some time to finish painting our office. Yesterday we finished painting another individual office. We finished painting our hallway, and started on our conference room. Today we plan to finish the conference room and then hang up the rollers and brushes until we expand into more space.
We are busy preparing for 2018. This is an extremely exciting time for us. Starting on January 1st, The Weaponry will be providing health and dental insurance to full-time employees. I am extremely proud of this milestone and will share more about finding insurance in a future post. We are also considering adding a couple of new people to our team. We are exploring office options for our employees who live outside Milwaukee (specifically in Columbus and Atlanta). I feel very fortunate to have to deal with such issues.
I sincerely appreciate you following this journey by reading The Perfect Agency Project. The readership of this blog doubled from 2015 to 2016. And it doubled again in 2017 thanks to readers like you. To make sure you never miss an update please subscribe to receive each post via email. I’ll even spring for the postage.