We all have big things we want to do. Goals, dreams, and aspirations are easy to find. Just ask any waiter in Hollywood. What is harder to find is goals met, dreams realized and aspirations achieved.
You can spend a lot of time thinking about the great things you want to do. You can talk about your plans. You can write them down and sketch them out. You can listen to podcasts and read newsletters and books. You can go to seminars, workshops, and meet-ups. And all of those things will feel like progress
But Oklahoma sooner than later, planning and preparing simply turn into procrastination. Because there are only ever 3 things that matter in the achievement process.
The 3-Step Achievement Process
- Where you are now.
- Where you want to finish.
- What you need to do next.
You already know where you are. (You do know where you are, right?) So once you know where you want to finish you have to quickly move your focus to what you need to next. That is the entire planning process.
The rest is doing.
- If you want to start your own business, you should be working on your product or service, or finding customers.
- If you want to write a book, movie, or play, sit down and start writing. (Unless you have a standing desk.)
- If you want to become an investor in real estate or business, freaking buy something.
- If you want to be an entertainer, start entertaining people.
- If you want to travel the world, go somewhere you haven’t been.
- If you want to be a nude model, lose the turtleneck sweater.
The difference between dreamers and doers is action. Once you know what you want to accomplish find the next step forward and take it. Once you start moving the next step always reveals itself. Gobble up those next actions like Pac-Man eats dots. Then keep going until you have cleared the board and you are ready for the next level. That’s what achievers do. And you will achieve by taking action.
*If you know someone who could benefit from this message, please share it with them.