I always wanted to start my own business. Not because I was an unhappy employee or a free spirit who couldn’t stand to work for The Man. I just like a good challenge. And everything I ever heard about entrepreneurship made it seem like it was the career equivalent to bull riding. Or free solo climbing. Or streaking at the Super Bowl. I knew it was dangerous. The likelihood of failure was very high. But if you are successful, there are few endeavors as rewarding.
Some Fun Entrepreneurial Facts
- There are 31 million businesses in the United States
- 90% fail within the first 5 years
- Only 4% ever make $1 million a year.
- The average age of startup Founders is 42 years
- A first-time entrepreneur has an 18% chance of succeeding
- 70% of entrepreneurs were married when they started their first business
- 60% had at least one child
- 44% had two or more children
- 66% of start-up founders pay themselves less than $50,000
- 69% of American entrepreneurs start their business at home
- 80% of small businesses are non-employer businesses.
- 51% of small businesses make less than $100,000 in annual sales.
Riding The Bull
With these facts in hand, I launched The Weaponry, an advertising and idea agency, in 2016. I wholeheartedly believed that we would succeed. The statistics didn’t scare me. They motivated me to prove that I was one of the few, the proud, the elite non-failers. Although I am sure the failers also felt confident when they first started out. After all, you don’t jump out of an airplane unless you are highly confident your parachute will open. Unless maybe there were snakes on the plane.
Turning 5 Years Old
Today, I am thrilled and proud to say The Weaponry is 5 years old! We gave grown significantly each year. And despite the global pandemic, 2020 was our best year yet. Now 2021 is off to a strong start. We continue to add to our team. And we have added 2 new clients in the past 2 weeks.
Funner Entrepreneurial Facts
- The Weaponry has offices in both Milwaukee and Columbus.
- We have 24 clients
- We have clients in all 4 US Time Zones.
- We have clients in 3 countries: The United States, Canada and India.
- We offer Health Insurance and Dental Insurance
- We have a 401(k) plan with a 4% match
- We have two red refrigerators
- Both of our offices are in Suite #206 (Although the signs say Sweet #206. Because I thought that was funnier. Those are the kinds of dumb things you can do when you start your own business.)
I feel as if we have only just begun, like Karen Carpenter. We have much more to accomplish. We expect us to grow and expand significantly. It is clear that we are having great success with happy clients who have hired The Weaponry 2 and 3 times as they have changed jobs. Which I think is the best compliment a client can give you.
Our 3 Pillars of Success.
Before we won our very first client (Global Rescue), I declared The Weaponry’s recipe for long-term success. And unlike that finger-licker Colonel Sanders, I am happy to share it with you.
- Great Creative Idea
- Excellent Customer Service
- A Fun Experience for Everyone Involved.
If we continue to deliver on these 3 points we will enjoy perpetual success. And while I am very thankful to have made it to 5 years, I believe the job of leadership is to keep a business in business forever. To do that we will have to continue to listen, learn, adapt and improve. I am fully committed to it. Just like a streaker.
Entrepreneurship isn’t easy. In fact, it offers one of life’s greatest challenges. But if you want to try it, I highly encourage you. It is extremely rewarding in more ways than I have room to share in a concluding paragraph. To dramatically improve your chances of success start a business doing something you know well. Choose work you love to do. And you will have the intellectual equipment and the magnetic pull to get you to 5 years and beyond.
*If you know someone who could benefit from this message, please share it with them.